uncle ruckus at mechacon
his post is a collection of racially-themed parties and events at college campuses. They’re examples of the simple individual racism that still perpetuates daily life in the U.S.
1. Last spring the University of Chicago’s Alpha Delta Phi fraternity required pledges to wear ”Mexican labor outfits” and sombreros while mowing the frat house lawn to Mexican ranchera music (source).
UPDATE: A University of Chicago student involved in reporting this incident wrote it to say that the photograph we originally published is likely unrelated to the Alpha Delta Phi incident (that is, a fake or a photo of a different event). In other words, the incident happened, but the photograph was not of the incident. Accordingly, we’ve removed the photo.
2. In September 2011 students at Hautes Etudes Commerciales, a Montreal business school, were filmed “wearing black makeup [and] chant[ing] with mock Jamaican accents about smoking marijuana” as part of a skit (source). A student explained that it was part of a skit in honor of Jamacian Olympian Usain Bolt. A spokesperson for the school explained that Francophone Canadians were unaware of the racial history behind blackface.
Anthony Morgan, a law student at McGill University, caught the students on film. He welcomed an apology from the school, is eager to follow up on their own investigation of the incident and, in the meantime, is filing a complaint with the Quebec Human Rights Commission (source). He explained:
[Being black] is not a costume that you put on… This is not just about a few bad apples. This is about a greater problem about what we think about, how we value, how we understand, how we discuss — if we discuss — black history, culture and contribution.
Race-themed events at colleges and universities are a yearly ritual. I include our collection of such parties and “celebrations” below.
3. Pictures from a “South of the Border” party at Santa Clara University in California. Indeed, that IS a pregnant woman, cleaning ladies, and a slutty gang member.
5. A party in “honor” of Martin Luther King Day at Clemson College in South Carolina:
The Greek letters on the purple shirts reference a black fraternity on campus.
9. Members of the Athletics Union at the London School of Economics painted their faces brown and “dressed up as Guantanamo Bay inmates and drunkenly yelled ‘Oh Allah’…” At least 12 students were found to have dressed up in costumes that were deemed “racist, religiously insensitive and demeaning.” Here’s one picture I was able to find:
President Obama comforts a woman in New Jersey whose marina was damaged by Hurricane Sandy.
As the Wall Street Journal’s Jeff Yang put it, “If enough people see it, this is the photo that singlehandedly re-elects Barack Obama.”
[Twitter via AP]
wow i want obama to hug me
Oh my my.
Love this but also love that lady’s dumb grin in the background
tattoo artist: David Chance from Santa Maria, Ca
Six hours under the needle with no breaks, rusty picture.
I thought about for this tattoo for over four years and finally came to my senses and found a great tattoo artist who fit what i wanted. It came out exactly how i wanted it.